Please note that the poems and essays on this site are copyright and may not be reproduced without the author's permission.


Saturday 11 April 2009

I Was Born To Speak Your Name

.

http://uploads1.wikipaintings.org/images/henri-rousseau/the-muse-inspiring-the-poet-1909-1.jpg





I knew the tune
It was my song
Even before you came along
Yet only then did I perceive its meaning

This you I wished for
This desired Other of whom
I spoke so glowingly in poems
I never knew its name

When I lifted its arms up
I noticed tiny wings
That’s all I knew
The rest was Muselike
Anonymous this “you”

So I guess those poems
Were like phonecalls to the future
I think I had your number
Knew what I was looking for
Even before I found it
In the face directory

And luckiest of all
Your human substance
Was life’s loveliest
Far as I could see

As if I’d placed
Bones and skin
Together in a dream
You were put together that way
But I wouldn’t let it go to my head if I were you





The Muse Inspiring the Poet: Henry Rousseau, 1909 (Kunstmuseum Basel)

1 comment:

Zephirine said...

This is such a beautiful poem, and the painting is a perfect companion for it!