Please note that the poems and essays on this site are copyright and may not be reproduced without the author's permission.


Friday 5 March 2010

March 1st (Cambridge, 1964)


.

File:Crocus cartwrightianus 'Albus'02.jpg





Today there is new crocus white
and yellow yellow
aconite and a strange small
saffron flower held
back by ragged
flags of weed
the weed a carryover a dream
of August
all soft stooping
to the rain saturated





File:Winterling halb geöffnet.JPG





Crocus cartwrightianus 'Albus': photo by Meneerke bloem, 2008
Winter aconite (Eranthus hyernalis): photo by 3268zauber, 2009

5 comments:

Bob Arnold / Longhouse said...

Tom,

You've made yourself flower here!

And if I may say so, there is enough left over to flower me.

And I bet another.

TC said...

Thank you Bob. With you in mind, here is another in the same vein.

human being said...

so healing... like their homeopathic usages...

. said...

I love how this reads out loud - like a statement of memory.

TC said...

Hb,

Yes, I would certainly agree.

Flowers and poems, I think, have healing uses for the spirit.


Leigh,

There is indeed memory here, in the private sense of my remembering back to writing the poem, on a specific chilly early spring day in 1964, while walking in the gardens of St. John's College, Cambridge.